- DIY Soaps and cleansers. Laundry detergent, surface cleaners, toilet bowl cleaner, shower cleaner, and glass cleaner have a lot of the same ingredients. So, buying them in bulk and making your own saves big!
- Pack a lunch and plan your meals for the week. Bringing a lunch to work is an easy and obvious way to save money. Meal planning makes it easier and more consistent. It also helps to save money at the grocery store by keeping you for buying excess food.
- Sell stuff that you no longer use. Ebay and local online “tag sales” make this so easy now! Instead of throwing away something that you don’t use or is broken, list in online to see if someone else would buy it. Someone may know how to fix this item and will buy it for cheap. These things add up and reduce over all waste.
- Plant fruits and veggies. Creating your own garden keeps you healthy and you can have organic produce without the big price tag.
- DIY house work. Even if you’re not handy, you can learn just about anything on YouTube. So, before you call a handyman to paint or fix a leaky pipe, see if you can handle it yourself!
- Couponing. Saving a few cents here and there adds up. Some people get very serious about coupling, but even just using a few at the store will save a lot of money when you look at the big picture.
- Repurpose and recycle. Before throwing anything away make sure that there isn’t another use for it.
- Buy used, not new. Remember that online local tag sale from #3? Use is to look for deals on things that you might need also. Getting furniture and home goods that are slightly used saves a lot of money.
- Regularly shop around. Whether it’s something that you may be buying only once, or a bill that you pay monthly, always shop around for the best deal. This is especially true for cell phone plans and auto insurance. Companies offer competitive pricing, so take advantage! And the great deal that you got last year may not be the best deal this year, so keep your eye out to save regularly.
- Go green. Making changes to your home will save big on utility bills. Changing to energy efficient light bulbs, resealing your windows and doors, or lowing heat/ AC will all help to lower your monthly bills.
Use these tips to save big on a regular basis. Please let me know if you have any more tips to show! I would hear about ways you save in your own household. 🙂